My Diet Is So Extreme . . .
People often tell me, or someone behind my back, that my diet is so extreme! I eat a Plant Based diet of raw fruits, vegetables, whole grains, legumes, and some nuts/seeds. My diet has been fairly typical for a few million years. The typical American S.A.D. diet has only existed for 60+ years.
The human experiment of processed chemical foods, packed feed lots of disease ridden grain fed cattle, polluted water supplies, mercury filled fish, and Genitically Modified Organisms(GMO’s) is relatively new. We have no idea what this big business science project will actually develop into over time, but we are already seeing massive sickness and disease. We are actually the first generation that is expected to not out live our own parents. Right now things aren’t looking so good . . .
From the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention: Rates of Obesity and Leading Causes of Death
Percent of adults age 20 years and over who are obese: 35.9% (2009-2010)
Percent of adults age 20 years and over who are overweight (and not obese): 33.3% (2009-2010)
Percent of adolescents age 12-19 years who are obese: 18.4% (2009-2010)
Percent of children age 6-11 years who are obese: 18.0% (2009-2010)
Percent of children age 2-5 years who are obese: 12.1% (2009-2010)
Heart disease: 599,413
Chronic lower respiratory diseases: 137,353
Stroke (cerebrovascular diseases): 128,842
Accidents (unintentional injuries): 118,021
Alzheimer’s disease: 79,003
Influenza and Pneumonia: 53,692
Nephritis, nephrotic syndrome, and nephrosis: 48,935
These numbers above are actually extreme to me. Here is what else I think extreme is.
Extreme to me is:
- Having the middle of your chest cut wide open to perform open heart surgery while you are still alive.
- Having to inject yourself with a needle 3-4 times a day because you have Type 2 Diabetes.
- Having to take multiple drug medications daily because your diet is so poor, and then having side affects from them like seizures, etc.
- Having embarrassing skin problems because you refuse to change your diet.
- Being so overweight that you take up 2 seats on an airplane.
- Walking up 2 flights of stairs and being out of breath.
- Paying a Doctor to poison you with Chemotherapy, i.e. Mustard Gas from the World War II, because you have cancer.
- Taking Viagra because you can no longer get a hard on because your arteries are clogged from the food you’ve consumed for years which is restricting blood flow to your penis.
- Saying you love your pet and then paying for a slaughter house worker to put a meat hook in a poor, defenseless Pig or Cow.
- Having my wonderful neighbor die of cancer 1 month after he retired to live in Florida.
- Having your Dad drop dead of a heart attack at 66, just a few years after retiring in the golden years.
- Having a 5 year old child get diabetes from the junk food her/his parents allowed her to eat.
- Getting alzheimer’s and not remembering your own spouse, kids, and family until you slowly die.
I could go on, but you get the idea. Luscious, sweet tropical fruits, bean burritos, and sweet potatoes are so extreme though. I guess I just have a different idea of what extreme is. Please challenge the mainstream, take care of yourself, and begin to nourish your body with real food. Remember, you only have one life, and one body- treat it well.
“Let food be thy medicine” ~ Hippocrates
Need help going Plant Based? Our website can help you along your journey. We have over 100 private videos on health, food journals to show you exactly what we eat, a forum to answer all your questions, and all the yoga you care for. We also just released a meal plan bundle. You get From My Bowl ebook, a 4 Week Meal Plan, and access to Thriving Plant Based for 2 months. Sign up today https://www.bananablondieyoga.com/4-week-plant-based-meal-plan/
All the best-
Youtube Plantbased Athlete